Huwebes, Pebrero 23, 2012

Three Poems

Rey Carlo Sajulan





Canticle to the Sea

Deep is calling on deep
in the roar of waters
Your torrents and your waves
Sweep over me, O deep blue sea

On sandy shores I stand
where thine waves crash
Gleefully calling
A song unceasing

The morning sun paving
a glittering path
Upon deep blue waters
Where I destined trod

Thine deep blue waters
Are foreign to me
Wade must I through unknown
Fear gripping my soul

Thine ethereal song
awakens my spirit
A yearning beyond
Flames... a voice within

Plunge! Deeper I go
Where thine waves embellish me
In deep cold waters
My soul one with thee

Now sail must I
through shallow waters
Against thine noisy waves
Unto depths unknown

Deeper, deeper
Thy song calleth me
Thine silver path fading
Darkness rising

Upon endless tranquility
Unchanging mundanity
Thy current takes me deeper
To darker uncertainty

Deep is calling on deep
In the silence of waters
Your torrents and your waves
have ceased, O placid sea



On Azure Waters

The engine roars
and the motorboat
onward propels
on azure waters
it skims
on currents subtle and waves

the roaring engine
fills my ears
yet silence...
a quiet song of the sea
of water splashing
against bamboo beams
A gentle, salty breeze
A wisp upon my cheeks
And coconut trees
on verdant, green isles
A quiet song of life

The engine noise
flashing camera lights
A man smoking
-- a whiff of bad air
Unperturbed, I remain
in this stillness
Silence within

A soul sailing
on azure waters
Placid, serene
It is still
It is still...
amidst subtle beauty
singing a silent song,
whispering to the breeze,
splashing with the foam,
swaying with the waves,
flowing with the sea...








In Papa's Arms

Eyes shut in slumber
mouth slightly open
Oblivious
to the roaring engine
In Papa's arms he sleeps

He leans in deep slumber
slightly crouching for warmth
Unperturbed
with the fluctuating engine
In Papa's arms he sleeps

A loving gaze
A pat on the hip
to keep him asleep
strong arms holding him
gently and dearly
In Papa's arms he sleeps

I sit alone
My eyes yearning for sleep
Once a little boy
Yearning
to sleep in Papa's arms
once more...

1 komento:

  1. I wrote these poems around March 19, 2009 when my religious community of Franciscans went to Caramoan to a private, solitary island where we celebrated the Feast of St, Joseph, husband of Mary and also as our "family day". That's why there's the theme of the sea. I also wrote it at a time I was depressed while enjoying the excursion. (Just imagine the ambivalence I was in! No wonder I was able to write these poems. hehe) I also love the sea!

    TumugonBurahin